53rd Hobby Show news

Place to discuss merchandise, including Audiovisual media, toys/models, and publications.
Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:04 am

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 pm

• Well, while it may be off-topic for this board, I'm interested to see that WAVE seems to have taken over the molds and license for Dougram from Takara, and they're doing something with Votoms once again.

Thank you Bandai for doing the 'uprated' Gamilas Battleship.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:24 pm

• So the tri-deck carriers will now come with ENTIRE FLEETS of fighter craft? That's just... º w º

Imagine trimming out all those little bastards and placing them just so on the decks and then trying to keep the dust off.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:06 pm

• Tim Eldred wrote:So the tri-deck carriers will now come with ENTIRE FLEETS of fighter craft? That's just... º w º

Imagine trimming out all those little bastards and placing them just so on the decks and then trying to keep the dust off.

*pfffft*

Imagine PAINTING them!

One thing that I find interesting with the Yamato 2199 kits is the 'modular' construction. When I saw the first Earth Fleet ships I thought "Oh, OK, parts are broken down by color so they don't have to be painted if one chooses not to" and I'm fine with that, but then I see the Yamato.

It carries on the same 'frame and panels' construction I recall seeing in the big 1/350 kit, which makes for a slightly more difficult build but also allows for all those subtle curves and lines to be more accurate.

It also means that if they choose, Bandai could do an 'upgraded' release of the 1/1000 scale Yamato, to include 3rd hanger bay details and maybe even remove all those overdone limber holes and vents. :)

And now we see that this planning also allows for easy variations. It seems those carriers all have a 'base' to their design and then there will be separate parts for the cosmetic differences. I also see that it appears they intend to make that uprated Gamilas battleship which gets a LOT of story time later on, as well as being a darling of the Japanese kit building crowd.

I know it's a daydream for now, but I really want to see what they can do with Comet Empire ships and whatever the UN Cosmo Fleet comes up with. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:22 pm

• Putting aside the frustrating Dollar/Yen exchange rate flux and the pain of shipping from Japan, I think the MOST frustrating aspect is the waiting. I mean, HOORAY that there are new kits slotted up to May of 2014 (so far). Want them now. :)

Also, Bandai, stop screwing around and just acknowledge you're intending to put the Domeruz II into production. Put a date on it!

And nobody has said it yet, a huge THANK YOU to rayyorkie for the data mining and posting clean links. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 pm

• I was originally going to pass on these kits. I don't have that much patience nor skills to assemble them. I think I'm changing my mind though. Especially since they're molded from the CG data from the show. (They are, aren't they?)
    JohnStanowski
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 am

• JohnStanowski wrote:I was originally going to pass on these kits. I don't have that much patience nor skills to assemble them. I think I'm changing my mind though. Especially since they're molded from the CG data from the show. (They are, aren't they?)

The CG data is a GUIDE, I make the assumption there are slight tweeks due to physical form needs and breaking down parts to be tooled and then snap-assembled by the consumer.

The big thing about the Y2199 Yamato in 1/1000 scale is it was tooled early in the production process of the show, and as such it's a bit of a trainwreck visually, with EVERY vent, hatch, limber hole cut into the hull. It also famously doesn't come with decals for all the hatch outlines and depth markings and warnings. These decals are spread out among a couple other kits, so you have to spend a lot of money to get all the proper markings. I'm not going to bother with that.

I'm going to putty over all the ballast vents and limber holes. That will make it look more like the show.

You may want to hold off until the new 1/500 scale Yamato is released, it looks like they've figured out all those hatches and slots and holes really aren't there 98% of the time. :)

http://www.hlj.com/product/BAN986230/Sci

I think they overdid the weathering on the display, but it seems to be the fashion now, so, eh.

ETA: Actually, if you want a sense of what you're getting into, here's the Hobby Search page that shows the instruction sheets. What it doesn't show is the tutorial on 'how to build a model' which includes trimming the part from the runner, how to read the codes for where a part is on the various trees, all that basic stuff.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10185348k/50/1

click on the thumbnails at the top of the page to see

It's a snap-fit kit, but styrene plastic model cement always makes a better build.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:00 am

• the question is will there be a Dommel 3 super ship--- geeze I hope so... Bandai wouldn't do that 2 us ?
    aphantom2518
    Cadet

Next

Return to Quartermaster's

Information