2199 Model Kits

Place to discuss merchandise, including Audiovisual media, toys/models, and publications.
Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:31 am

• JohnStanowski wrote:I at least want to get Okita's ship so I'm going to have to just do my best with the decals. I mean to get a couple planes too, I'm sure they have a lot of decals as well.

My Gamilon Set 1 showed up today. But I can't touch it until I get my supplies from HLJ, etc.

Do you know if there's a way to paint the lines in the hull of these ships? I want to do this with the Kirishima as well. I was wondering if there was a way to sort of fill them in almost like doing grout work. Like something I can spread on and then wipe off, but leaving it stuck in the hull lines.

Would you happen to know of any good Model Building and painting sites I should see?

Well, there's a big, big topic. I know there are a number of 'how to build model kits' books out there, published over the many years, but I'm not familiar enough with them to feel comfortable enough to suggest a single one.

There are two ways to outline panels and you briefly touch on both, the 'wash' and the 'outline'. A wash is exactly what it sounds like- diluted paint (sometimes even ink) that you flow over a surface to fill lines, then you quickly wipe off the excess. The most safe way to do this is to paint your kit with enamel paint, seal it with a clear gloss overcoat, use thinned acrylic paint for the wash, then seal THAT with a flat or semi-flat clearcoat. by using acrylics for the wash you are assured that any mistake made won't 'eat' into the base paint.

Black is often used but using a darker green may well give a better, more subtle effect.

Then there's the marker way. This set would probably do a good job: http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGMS110/Sup

You can also search for other fine tip paint markers. Also, local art supply stores may have fine point pens/markers that would be cheaper.

Note I'm not even trying to discuss such things as 'pre-shading' and using an airbrush and masking and puttying seams and on and on. That's getting into advanced stuff I don't even try anymore. Well, can't as I sold off my airbrush and compressor years ago :(
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:51 am

• Another thing I should add, about building your kit. This goes for any model kit, be it styrene plastic or resin or whatever.

You need to wash the parts before you start. There is a very slight coating of mold release on the parts. You can build without washing the parts but you'll likely have problems when you try and paint it.

The easy way to do it is take a large foil baking pan, large enough for an entire parts tree. Fill with warm water and add several drops of any name brand 'grease cutting' dishwashing fluid. let each parts tree soak for a minute or so, then shake off the water and rinse under fresh running water. Pat dry, set each tree on some paper towel and let them all air dry.

after that, build, putty, sand, wipe clean and paint to your heart's content. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 am

• Thanks! I've been watching the TrekWorks channel on YouTube. I think he mentioned that too.
    JohnStanowski
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:36 am

• I've got pretty much all the 2199 kits and I recently started building some of them. Can I start a build topics to show WIP and finished kits?
    Wiz33
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:37 pm

• Go nuts.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Previous

Return to Quartermaster's

Information