Yamato classic films on Blu-ray

Place to discuss merchandise, including Audiovisual media, toys/models, and publications.
Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:35 pm

• I've imported the Japanese Blu-rays for Yamato 2199 and enjoyed the English subtitles. Now I'd like to revisit the original series and films, which have also recently been released on Blu-ray in Japan. Do these releases also have English subtitles, and are they region-free like the Yamato 2199 releases?

How is the quality, especially compared to the awful US DVD option?
    Snappleshacks
    Cadet

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:12 pm

• The other Japanese Blu-ray releases of Yamato do not have subtitles. As far as I know, it was only Yamato 2199 that got that treatment. They discs are probably Region A, but then the US and Japan are in the same region when it comes to Blu-ray anyway. Any Japanese Blu-ray will work on a US player.

Others that have them will know of the quality.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 pm

• Ithekro wrote:The other Japanese Blu-ray releases of Yamato do not have subtitles.

That's too bad. I guess I'll have to pick up the US box set, although I've heard the quality is terrible.

eBay has Blu-rays for the first season and a few of the classic films which claim to have English subtitles - presumably those are bootlegs and/or incorrect descriptions?

Hopefully the 2199 film later this year, and any future seasons, will have subtitles.

Thanks for responding.
    Snappleshacks
    Cadet

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:33 am

• The only subtitled versions of Space Battleship Yamato (classic) were the movies released by Voyager US when they were still in business and TV series bootlegs from Hong Kong. If you see a Yamato TV series with subs on ebay, they are definitely bootlegs.

Funimation will release the live action movie with subs in April and Yamato Resurrection with subs at some yet-to-be-announced date.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Return to Quartermaster's

Information