Off to Uncharted Fanfic Space

A place to post fan fiction and a think tank to discuss ideas.
Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:49 pm

• dtill359 wrote::D I loved that mural - though I preferred the version of it they showed in one of the credits sections. It was funny though because I actually wrote the mural in before I knew Y2199's reason for having it. I had no idea they were using it as a unity symbol. ^_^

Two great minds!

What really finally convinced me was first, the conversation between Dessler & Starsha in Ch.7, then, two, the "death" scene (which, of course we all know Dessler/Desslok isn't really dead :roll:) and the memories of Starsha that were "played back" for us to see. :)

Agreed! I was so glad they explored why Dessler/Desslok loved Starsha so much. He didn't really say in SB. And I love how they left it open for his return if they do a second season. The tease with his bridge separating from the rest of his ship certainly left the door open. :)

True. I preferred the older incarnation as well, though the younger look did help get some things in perspective. My favorite renderings though are from "Bolar Wars" - which I know a lot of fans hated BW, but it remains my favorite piece of the saga overall because of the potential it has.

I have to admit getting used to the new voice-over cast for the "Bolar Wars" made it a bit jarring for me at first. I did enjoy the character development made in the "Bolar Wars" especially the relationship between Desslok and Wildstar. Desslok has made such progress growth-wise since last we saw him in the "Comet Empire" series!

Same here. I'm thrilled to see another person writing. Asthiathien is another fanfiction.net user who's been doing some really great work and updating as often as she can.

Ah! Another great scribe for Gamilon! 8-) Can't wait to read your updates as well

And your sanity. ^_^

True! It would be like watching two grand masters playing chess against each other with everyone else as the pieces on the board! :lol:
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:18 am

• BluEnigma wrote:Two great minds!

^_^

Agreed! I was so glad they explored why Dessler/Desslok loved Starsha so much. He didn't really say in SB. And I love how they left it open for his return if they do a second season. The tease with his bridge separating from the rest of his ship certainly left the door open. :)

I guess I always assumed that there was some untold backstory between the two. ^_^ Hence some of the content in TROK.

Oh, I think he'll be back - like Loki he'll be back. 8-)

I have to admit getting used to the new voice-over cast for the "Bolar Wars" made it a bit jarring for me at first. I did enjoy the character development made in the "Bolar Wars" especially the relationship between Desslok and Wildstar. Desslok has made such progress growth-wise since last we saw him in the "Comet Empire" series!

Indeed. The first time I heard the new voices I did a double-take. Then I learned to love them. As a 10-11 yr old I accepted a lot of the changes without too many critical questions. I guess I just assumed they had a reason for it. :)

Yes, there was - and of course, there was NJ between TCE & BW, which had a huge impact on Desslok.

Ah! Another great scribe for Gamilon! 8-) Can't wait to read your updates as well.

:D

True! It would be like watching two grand masters playing chess against each other with everyone else as the pieces on the board! :lol:

O_O
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 pm

• I guess I always assumed that there was some untold backstory between the two. ^_^ Hence some of the content in TROK.

True! I know there has been speculation that they were lovers or they just knew each other since they were young. So glad you're expanding on that!

Oh, I think he'll be back - like Loki he'll be back. 8-)

Definitely! Now I'm curious how his relationship with TCE will work differently, especially since we've seen that Gamilas has been fighting them.

Indeed. The first time I heard the new voices I did a double-take. Then I learned to love them. As a 10-11 yr old I accepted a lot of the changes without too many critical questions. I guess I just assumed they had a reason for it. :)

I think after that I just went with the subs because the original was pretty much ingrained in my mind, though I did like Wolf Frakken, Kranshaw, and a couple of the others that weren't too cartoon-y sounding. Thirty-odd years later and I still hear Desslok in that lilting elegance of his. That man could taunt with class! :lol:

Yes, there was - and of course, there was NJ between TCE & BW, which had a huge impact on Desslok.

I felt so sorry for Desslok in NJ. So much going on there and his admiration and respect for Wildstar and the Star Force continues to grow. Then he returned the favor in FY.

O_O

LOL! I may need to do that as a one-off. Desslok and Dessler playing a game of cosmic chess. The snark between the two should be epic! 8-)
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:11 pm

• BluEnigma wrote:True! I know there has been speculation that they were lovers or they just knew each other since they were young. So glad you're expanding on that!

I've heard that somwhere too - most likely somewhere on here. ^_^ My brain just wouldn't let me leave it alone - thus the fanfiction.

Definitely! Now I'm curious how his relationship with TCE will work differently, especially since we've seen that Gamilas has been fighting them.[/quote] Yes! I thought the exact same thing. That's also something I have in my AU and I'll be exploring, so I guess I'll get to see the difference between how I handle it and how they choose to handle it. B)

I think after that I just went with the subs because the original was pretty much ingrained in my mind, though I did like Wolf Frakken, Kranshaw, and a couple of the others that weren't too cartoon-y sounding. Thirty-odd years later and I still hear Desslok in that lilting elegance of his. That man could taunt with class! :lol:

:) I don't mind subs. In fact, I kinda like them - getting used to hearing the Japanese language is really interesting for me. I'm currently researching/learning some Hebrew (obviously) for my AU too, so I like to listen to native speakers talk. ^_^

Idk. I guess because I was so young my brain adjusted without too much protest. ^_^

I felt so sorry for Desslok in NJ. So much going on there and his admiration and respect for Wildstar and the Star Force continues to grow. Then he returned the favor in FY.

Yeah really. It said a lot that he would call on Wildstar and the SF to help out with something so argueably personal in a lot of ways - but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

LOL! I may need to do that as a one-off. Desslok and Dessler playing a game of cosmic chess. The snark between the two should be epic! 8-)

Oh!!!! You should seriously do that. :o
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:16 pm

• I've heard that somwhere too - most likely somewhere on here. ^_^ My brain just wouldn't let me leave it alone - thus the fanfiction.

Hooray! The intense feelings he has for her go beyond just friendship, especially if he was willing to die for Starsha. Thank goodness for fan fiction! :D

Yes! I thought the exact same thing. That's also something I have in my AU and I'll be exploring, so I guess I'll get to see the difference between how I handle it and how they choose to handle it. B)

That's the fun part to explore and quite lovely when both writers and fan fic writers hit the same ideas. 8-) It's ironic to think that when the Argo destroyed Gamilon in SB they kind of opened the door for TCE to take over the Gamilon territories and thus get closer to the Milky Way Galaxy.

:) I don't mind subs. In fact, I kinda like them - getting used to hearing the Japanese language is really interesting for me. I'm currently researching/learning some Hebrew (obviously) for my AU too, so I like to listen to native speakers talk. ^_^

So true! I also like to see the other dimensions that are given to the characters via the subs. And after reading Tim's interview with 2199 character designer, Nobeteru Yuuki, I totally get why he designed Dessler they way he did. Now Dessler and Kodai are closer to the same age bracket only Dessler is more like a Gamilon Nero - especially with that colony dropping stunt! ;)

Yeah really. It said a lot that he would call on Wildstar and the SF to help out with something so argueably personal in a lot of ways - but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

It shows the great amount of trust he has in Wildstar. And the look of relief on Desslok when he sees Wildstar fly past his ship...priceless.

Oh!!!! You should seriously do that. :o

I am. I had to re-write the first chapter of the Talan Brothers story as parts of it were entirely too OOC for me - especially with Desslok's reaction to evacuations. Now I can let the Desslers play their game. :D
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 pm

• I rewrote the first chapter of A Dangerous Game and also re-named it The Silent Year. I found Desslok to be too OOC in ADG and have (hopefully) amended that issue. It just didn't sit that well with me and this go-around seems to be a better fit - at least through the eyes of his two generals. 8-)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10221537/1/The-Silent-Year-A-Talan-Brother-s-Story
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:34 am

• BluEnigma wrote:Hooray! The intense feelings he has for her go beyond just friendship, especially if he was willing to die for Starsha. Thank goodness for fan fiction! :D

I think anybody who was paying any attention would realize that. I mean I knew that and I was only like 12 at the time I saw it. :roll:

That's the fun part to explore and quite lovely when both writers and fan fic writers hit the same ideas. 8-) It's ironic to think that when the Argo destroyed Gamilon in SB they kind of opened the door for TCE to take over the Gamilon territories and thus get closer to the Milky Way Galaxy.

Yeah really. Talk about frying pan :arrow: fire. :P

So true! I also like to see the other dimensions that are given to the characters via the subs. And after reading Tim's interview with 2199 character designer, Nobeteru Yuuki, I totally get why he designed Dessler they way he did. Now Dessler and Kodai are closer to the same age bracket only Dessler is more like a Gamilon Nero - especially with that colony dropping stunt! ;)

It was definitely interesting to see Wildstar & Dessler closer in age - I'm doing myself too. I just think it makes the grounds a bit more "even" if you can say that. ^_^

It shows the great amount of trust he has in Wildstar. And the look of relief on Desslok when he sees Wildstar fly past his ship...priceless.

Also perhaps back to the "more than friendship" thing with Starsha. He was willing to give up his "appearance of strength" to save her - not a small thing.

I am. I had to re-write the first chapter of the Talan Brothers story as parts of it were entirely too OOC for me - especially with Desslok's reaction to evacuations. Now I can let the Desslers play their game. :D

Ah - cool! I'll have to check it out.
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:27 am

• I think anybody who was paying any attention would realize that. I mean I knew that and I was only like 12 at the time I saw it. :roll:

Definitely. Even as I kid I thought that Desslok must have been livid over Starsha's new guest-turned-lover. Talk about having salt in the wound! :evil: I'm glad they left that wrinkle out in 2199. I hope we get to see D & S as a canon couple!

Yeah really. Talk about frying pan :arrow: fire. :P

Thanks a billion, Star Force! The Gamilas clean-up bill should cancel out whatever they owe Earth, or at the very least defer part of it.

It was definitely interesting to see Wildstar & Dessler closer in age - I'm doing myself too. I just think it makes the grounds a bit more "even" if you can say that. ^_^

It makes perfect sense. Even though Dessler has been ruling for 103 years he is still closer to Wildstar in age.

Also perhaps back to the "more than friendship" thing with Starsha. He was willing to give up his "appearance of strength" to save her - not a small thing.

He definitely shared a vulnerability with Wildstar and brings it up again in S3. As Starsha said in S1, Desslok destroyed or pushed away the people who could help him. It was a bitter lesson to learn and this time his love for Starsha would take precedence over his pride and appearance.

Ah - cool! I'll have to check it out.

Thanks! It's very strange having Dessler and Desslok playing against each other and exchanging quips. :lol:
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:02 pm

• BluEnigma wrote:Definitely. Even as I kid I thought that Desslok must have been livid over Starsha's new guest-turned-lover. Talk about having salt in the wound! :evil: I'm glad they left that wrinkle out in 2199.

Yeah... never liked that, even as a kid. And I was quite thrilled not to see too much of it in 2199.

I hope we get to see D & S as a canon couple!

I'm really hoping so. I mean really. It's not like it's impossible. ;)

Thanks a billion, Star Force! The Gamilas clean-up bill should cancel out whatever they owe Earth, or at the very least defer part of it.

Lol! I think that in some ways the damage done to Gamilon/Gamilas was more extensive (at least in the original) than the damage done to Earth.

It makes perfect sense. Even though Dessler has been ruling for 103 years he is still closer to Wildstar in age.

It really does. Maybe it was one of those 20/20 hindsight things. ^_^

He definitely shared a vulnerability with Wildstar and brings it up again in S3. As Starsha said in S1, Desslok destroyed or pushed away the people who could help him. It was a bitter lesson to learn and this time his love for Starsha would take precedence over his pride and appearance.

Yeah, he obviously had a bad track record with stuff like that in the beginning. But as they say - "It's not how you start, but how you finish." :)

Thanks! It's very strange having Dessler and Desslok playing against each other and exchanging quips. :lol:

^_^ I got the chance to quickly read through chapter 1 yesterday - or maybe a couple days ago. I don't remember. Your stats tracker on fanfiction should tell you something - maybe. But anyway. Looking forward to an "actual" read-through either tonight or tomorrow.
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:04 pm

• Yeah... never liked that, even as a kid. And I was quite thrilled not to see too much of it in 2199.

As if Desslok needed another reason not to like the name Wildstar - at least in S1.

I'm really hoping so. I mean really. It's not like it's impossible. ;)

Well, the guys are getting plenty of eye candy in 2199 so I don't think it's really asking much to give some of us the Dessler/Starsha relationship a satisfying resolve. ;) I won't say no to Gamilas eye candy either! :lol:

Lol! I think that in some ways the damage done to Gamilon/Gamilas was more extensive (at least in the original) than the damage done to Earth.

Definitely! Gamilon was worse off in the original. If they do a S2 I wonder if a civil war will occur on Gamilas considering Dessler tried to drop a colony onto the city just to get the Yamato? I know Talan and Co. have some serious rebuilding to do, so who knows?

It really does. Maybe it was one of those 20/20 hindsight things. ^_^

True! I don't know if that's just how they designed the characters in the 70s and the evolution of anime brought that gap to attention. They're both on an even keel age-wise.

Yeah, he obviously had a bad track record with stuff like that in the beginning. But as they say - "It's not how you start, but how you finish." :)

And that's what makes him such an admirable character: his growth. He makes some really awful choices yet he grows from them and constantly evolves. When he tried to teach the CE generals that lesson they didn't listen or take him seriously. Small wonder he laughed when the SF destroyed them! :)

^_^ I got the chance to quickly read through chapter 1 yesterday - or maybe a couple days ago. I don't remember. Your stats tracker on fanfiction should tell you something - maybe. But anyway. Looking forward to an "actual" read-through either tonight or tomorrow.

Aw, thanks! I've been adjusting to a new work schedule so I haven't had much time to add the other chapters. Hopefully I can do that this weekend. Looking forward to reading your new chapters when you post them! ^_^
    BluEnigma
    Crewperson 2nd Class

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Fiction

Information