Favorite Series/Movie

Forum for discussing the classic Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers continuity, including the TV series, the movies through Final Yamato, as well as Yamato Resurrection.
Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:08 pm

• So, what is your favorite series or movie from the classic Yamato/Star Blazers franchise?

Mine would have to be Yamato II, with Star Blazers Season 2 right behind it. Redundant you say? Actually, I love both of them because of their differences, as much as their similarities. Yamato II is in my opinion simply the most stunning entry in the history of Yamato. The visual quality, the story, the characters, you name it, this movie is the apex of each. My jaw still drops every time the final sequence plays out... The reason I mention Season 2 at all after heaping such glowing praise on the movie is because Season 2 was just about as perfect a TV adaptation of the movie as is possible, while at the same time tweaking just enough to lay the foundation for years of further glorious continuations the movie simply couldn't have produced on its own. I particularly love the enlargement of Desslok/Dessler's role and character development as seen in the series, as he is by far my favorite character of the show, due in no small way to his romantic and tortured portrayal begun in Season 2.
    "As long as I live and fight, Gamilon lives..." -Desslok.
    chucklocker
    Cadet

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 pm

• Mine would be the first series or the Quest for Iscandar here in America when I was a little boy my mom had taken my brother and I to the local block buster and i was wandering the cartoons section when a picture of a Battleship/rocket ship caught my eye..... Once i heard that song I was hooked
    Philbob
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48 am

• chucklocker wrote:So, what is your favorite series or movie from the classic Yamato/Star Blazers franchise?

Mine would have to be Yamato II, with Star Blazers Season 2 right behind it. Redundant you say? Actually, I love both of them because of their differences, as much as their similarities. Yamato II is in my opinion simply the most stunning entry in the history of Yamato. The visual quality, the story, the characters, you name it, this movie is the apex of each. My jaw still drops every time the final sequence plays out... The reason I mention Season 2 at all after heaping such glowing praise on the movie is because Season 2 was just about as perfect a TV adaptation of the movie as is possible, while at the same time tweaking just enough to lay the foundation for years of further glorious continuations the movie simply couldn't have produced on its own. I particularly love the enlargement of Desslok/Dessler's role and character development as seen in the series, as he is by far my favorite character of the show, due in no small way to his romantic and tortured portrayal begun in Season 2.

I'd like to think that agreeing with you is easy, but it's hard to exclude the first TV series (Quest for Iscandar) in the list. But I do agree with you that Farewell to Yamato and Space Battleship Yamato 2 were exemplary. Don't be mistaken though, calling Yamato 2 an adaptation of the movie is a bit of a misnomer, since they were both in production at the same time - contrary to popular belief, the TV series had been planned long before the movie hit cinemas.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:46 pm

• chucklocker wrote:So, what is your favorite series or movie from the classic Yamato/Star Blazers franchise?

It took me a few moments to get what you were saying here. As Dan said, to me, "Yamato II" sounds like you're talking about the second series, which was called "Space Battleship Yamato 2", instead of the 2nd movie, "Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato". So I thought you're favorites were the Japanese 2nd series, followed by the American dub of the same.

That said, I agree that the second series was the best. Series 1 is a pretty straightforward quest: get to point A to B and back; series two has a lot more characters and alliances (not to mention more big honkin' space battles!) I didn't find the Gamilas all that interesting in the first series; the 2nd series is where Desler becomes an actual character instead of Space Hitler. Also, Yamamoto/Hardy becomes more than a footnote. (He's at least a sentence in the main text.)

"Farewell to Yamato"... well, I know I'm supposed to like it, and I do, up to a point. But part of what I don't like is that all the drama and character work I like so much in Yamato 2 is mostly missing here. Subsequently, Desler's heroic turn isn't as effective. Teresa/Trelaina is a cypher (but she's naked, so that kind of balances out.) And the ending... too much honor and glory in killing yourself, IMO. I used to think I was alone in not liking it, but I understand Matsumoto himself didn't like the ending either. ("Farewell" is very much Nishizaki's ending; Yamato 2 is Matsumoto and Ishiguro's.)

HS
    Hardy Shinohara

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:55 pm

• I've always loved Star Blazers season #2, especially episode #25. Some of my favorite lines in the entire series appear in this episode. "As soon as we surface, we attack!" and "One last time, aim all guns at the Comet Empire...all guns!"

The Yamato then performs the "crossing the t maneuver" and opens fire. Brilliant stuff.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:44 am

• I would say the best episode was Homer's Breakdown form the first season. As a kid I thought it was a lame episode but now looking back it showed the stresses of being away from loved one during war time. No other kids show had anything like it at the time.
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:54 am

• "Yamato III"/"The Bolar Wars." :)
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:58 am

• My favorite series was also Season 2, and I'll echo the sentiment felt for all the same reasons. Some of my favorite scenes and characters come S2, Yamamoto and Saito's sacrifices are top of the list. Desler's character is explored much more, and we understand him better and get our closure of sorts.

However, my favorite episode is in season 1, "We Will Retrun", in which the crew makes their final communications home to Earth to say good bye. The episode isn't filled with much action, but is so emotionally raw that it just grips me. Todd S is right, there just wasn't any other kids show at the time... or even now (imho) that has anything like it.
    Tevanos
    Cadet

Return to First Bridge

Information