New Star Blazers Motion Picture In Development

Forum for discussing the classic Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers continuity, including the TV series, the movies through Final Yamato, as well as Yamato Resurrection.

• After waiting for many year of hoping that Hollywood would jump on board with the "original" Sci-Fi epic, a Star Blazers movie is being developed by Skydance studios. The movie will be live action in nature. I am truly STOKED that this is finally happening. :D
    duffer2112
    Cadet

• duffer2112 wrote:After waiting for many year of hoping that Hollywood would jump on board with the "original" Sci-Fi epic, a Star Blazers movie is being developed by Skydance studios. The movie will be live action in nature. I am truly STOKED that this is finally happening. :D

Don't count your chickens yet. At this stage, it's only a proposal.

Myself, I'm skeptical about Hollywood attempts at movie adaptations of anime. The few they've done to date have been mediocre at best. While Shouji Nishizaki (son of Space Battleship Yamato producer Yoshinobu) being on as an Executive Producer inspires some degree of confidence, their selection of director, Christopher McQuarrie does not. I can't have faith in a guy who cast Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

• I hope this gets stuck in development hell. I can't see an American studio doing anything remotely cool with Yamato.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

• Chris wrote:I hope this gets stuck in development hell. I can't see an American studio doing anything remotely cool with Yamato.

I'm of the same opinion, but as August mentioned on Facebook, there may be a silver lining in driving people to see the anime instead - although for that to happen, the concept would have to not suck - and there couldn't be very much departure from the canon storyline (I'm already cringing on what the Robotech movie is going to turn out like).
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

• In Christopher McQuarrie's defense (and in the effort to keep the facts straight), he did not cast Tom Cruise in JACK REACHER; Paramount Pictures and Cruise/Wagner Productions acquired the film rights in 2005; so it was a Cruise vehicle from the start. Then, Cruise tapped McQuarrie to direct — since McQuarrie also helmed the Cruise vehicle, VALKYRIE, in 2008.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

• August Ragone wrote:In Christopher McQuarrie's defense (and in the effort to keep the facts straight), he did not cast Tom Cruise in JACK REACHER; Paramount Pictures and Cruise/Wagner Productions acquired the film rights in 2005; so it was a Cruise vehicle from the start. Then, Cruise tapped McQuarrie to direct — since McQuarrie also helmed the Cruise vehicle, VALKYRIE, in 2008.

Fair enough. Thanks for correcting me on that, August.
    Dan George
    DanGeorge

Return to First Bridge

Information