First Poll!

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***

What from the original series should have been in 2199 but wasn't?

The Star Force Salute!
39%
The Asteroid Ring!
42%
Balanosaurus!
No votes
Desslok Mines!
3%
Analyzer/IQ-9's skirt-chasing!
6%
Wildstar and Venture duking it out!
6%
Gaping Plot Holes!
No votes
The native life on Pluto!
3%

Total votes : 31

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:55 pm

• I voted for the asteroid ring, but I miss a few things not on this poll. I miss Kodai being the central figure of the story. It seems they dialed him way down. I miss the Yamato being a near mythical presence in every episode.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:40 pm

• I really, really wanted to see the salute rendered on Iscandar. We saw that the Garmillas had a hand-over-heart salute to Yurisha, and I thought for sure that was the setup for a fist-over-heart. It seemed like the last missing piece to me. But if it was originally created by Leiji Matsumoto, that probably put it on the junkpile. Alas.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 am

• Tim Eldred wrote:I really, really wanted to see the salute rendered on Iscandar. We saw that the Garmillas had a hand-over-heart salute to Yurisha, and I thought for sure that was the setup for a fist-over-heart. It seemed like the last missing piece to me. But if it was originally created by Leiji Matsumoto, that probably put it on the junkpile. Alas.

Well, I'm not so sure that's why it was canned. I mean, you know the more anchor-shaped marking on all the uniforms? That's much closer to some of Leiji's original chara drawings then the later 'arrow' look used in the show.

I'm almost thinking some of the changes were more to not look like the Live Action film. I have no idea why that would be.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:00 pm

• I'm in the minority that doesn't miss the old salute; which (IIRC) was created to move the original series as much as possible from an Imperial military structure, and more into a voluntary organization (to stave off claims of trying to pollute childrens' minds with thinly-veiled jingoism). I don't remember if Izubuchi (or anyone else on the production of 2199) has commented on why it was replaced.

So, why do I miss the Asteroid Ring, then? Because of the first image I ever saw of the Yamato, when I held the first Bandai plastic model kit in my hands at Fuji-ya. Shigeru Komatsuzaki's hot-blooded artwork lept off that box and said, "I'm going to take you on a never-ending journey to the stars..."

(Wait, wrong movie. Oh, never mind.)
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:38 am

• I was hoping for Other because I was wanting to know if Sanada was still a cyborg or not out of curiosity.
    angelpoo12
    Cadet

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:19 am

• Salute for me too there is something martial about it that sets it apart from other scifis, plus being in the military I liked the idea that a different culture had a different salute. I also really like the new Gamilon salute. Another thing I liked the allusions to riots in the undergound cities instead of just power outages, if the writiers are paying attention when and if they make Yamato 2201 they can delve into the military not wanting to give up political ower.
    Philbob
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:13 pm

• I went for the asteroid ring just because it's such an iconic image, but you know what else I miss? The sulfuric acid sea. I loved the tension of the scene, as the Yamato crew searches for the proverbial mother lode before their ship dissolves around them. I must have reenacted that scene a million times as a kid (using my USS Missouri kit as a replacement Argo).*

Hopefully, a sequel will figure out some way to dunk the Yamato in acid.

HS
    Hardy Shinohara
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:56 am

• I have to go with the Asteroid Ring. Stupid? Maybe. Used only twice in the original? Yep. But it's an iconic thing. And if they found a way to make the drill missile work, they could have pulled this one off too. And may i throw some gas into the fire by saying that, although not as many or as big as the original, plot holes are still plenty. XD
    macdawson

Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:32 am

• macdawson wrote:And may i throw some gas into the fire by saying that, although not as many or as big as the original, plot holes are still plenty. XD

Please, let's see a list of your assessment of Y2199's plot holes. :)

Philbob wrote:I also really like the new Gamilon salute.

That wasn't changed from the original 1974 series...
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:52 am

• Plot holes? Oh, I can think of at least one.

If the point of the exercise was for Yamato to reach Iscandar, be judged by Starsha and return to Earth in time to save Mankind, it's a darn good thing they stopped at Beemara and found that map of the Warp Gates, huh?

What if Okita chose to push on? What if the coup was successful and they just stopped or returned to Earth?

without the Warp Gates Yamato COULD NOT succeed, from the sound of things. Calls for a pretty significant deus ex machina, doesn't it?

But of course things just worked out somehow. :)

Obviously there are ways around this. Information could magically appear on the ship's server that tells about Warp Gates, 'unlocked' by reaching a specific point in space. Maybe in intersteller space the WMn warp efficiency increases in a substantial way. Maybe Sanada and Niimi come up with a new formula and re-tune the WME.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

PreviousNext

Return to Second Bridge

Information