First Poll!

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***

What from the original series should have been in 2199 but wasn't?

The Star Force Salute!
12
39%
The Asteroid Ring!
13
42%
Balanosaurus!
0
No votes
Desslok Mines!
1
3%
Analyzer/IQ-9's skirt-chasing!
2
6%
Wildstar and Venture duking it out!
2
6%
Gaping Plot Holes!
0
No votes
The native life on Pluto!
1
3%
 
Total votes : 31

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:10 am

  • A lot of things can be explained by Yurisha's presence in the tube. She would have been the guiding force (literally) to get them where they had to go. What they did once they got there would fall under the "free will" category. If they weren't bright enough to figure things out, well, that's that.

    Once you get to see the final episodes with subtitles, a lot becomes clear. Not everything, but enough for you to exercise your own free will and figure things out. Immensely satisfying.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:41 pm

  • Tim Eldred wrote:A lot of things can be explained by Yurisha's presence in the tube. She would have been the guiding force (literally) to get them where they had to go. What they did once they got there would fall under the "free will" category. If they weren't bright enough to figure things out, well, that's that.

    Once you get to see the final episodes with subtitles, a lot becomes clear. Not everything, but enough for you to exercise your own free will and figure things out. Immensely satisfying.


    But this goes to my central point of concern for future series.

    If Yurisha was CRITICAL to reach Iscandar, if her 'spirit' was needed because it was the guidepoint that actually made the 'auto nav' work because she was going home...

    Yamato can't really go anywhere without having someone having BEEN there. Kinda puts a kabosh on finding Telazart. :)

    (OTOH there's the 'out' for Final Yamato, yes? Not to mention Ghost of Okita for Kodai to talk to in Arrivederci,Yamato. *sigh* maybe a point that's more 'retcon' to Original Yamato than anything else)

    I have to hope that whole thing is a mis-translation due to the question being phrased wrong or a misunderstood context of the greater concept. To wit: Once Yurisha stepped out of the capsule, didn't that sever her connection with the ship? They still had a ways to go at that point.

    Spirit, or soul if you will, being the trigger component of the Cosmo Reversal device, I can buy that. For some crazy reason that actually makes sense to me.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:07 pm

  • Steve H wrote:If Yurisha was CRITICAL to reach Iscandar, if her 'spirit' was needed because it was the guidepoint that actually made the 'auto nav' work because she was going home... Yamato can't really go anywhere without having someone having BEEN there. Kinda puts a kabosh on finding Telazart. :)


    Not true; Yurisha suffered a coma before she could give the UNCF the exact coordinates to Iscandar (this is mentioned in Episode 17, IIRC). Being on a time limit, they didn't have forever to go poking around the Large Megallanic Cloud for it. So, in a desperate manuver, they hooked her up to the guidance systems (don't ask me how). They didn't need anyone hooked up to it on the way back, because they know exactly where the Earth is... As for the implications of the new "spirit container" in the Auto-Nav Room, we must look to the future for that answer.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 am
    Location: San Francisco, California

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:13 am

  • August Ragone wrote:
    Steve H wrote:If Yurisha was CRITICAL to reach Iscandar, if her 'spirit' was needed because it was the guidepoint that actually made the 'auto nav' work because she was going home... Yamato can't really go anywhere without having someone having BEEN there. Kinda puts a kabosh on finding Telazart. :)


    Not true; Yurisha suffered a coma before she could give the UNCF the exact coordinates to Iscandar (this is mentioned in Episode 17, IIRC). Being on a time limit, they didn't have forever to go poking around the Large Megallanic Cloud for it. So, in a desperate manuver, they hooked her up to the guidance systems (don't ask me how). They didn't need anyone hooked up to it on the way back, because they know exactly where the Earth is... As for the implications of the new "spirit container" in the Auto-Nav Room, we must look to the future for that answer.


    OK, yes, re-watched ep. 17. Yurisha was in a coma, having been caught in the same explosion that gave Yuki amnesia. So they loaded her into a cold sleep capsule and somehow scanned her memory engrams for the course and direction. It seems her being 'plugged in' is just for the ST:TNG style technobabble mind reading. She is not actually steering the ship.

    Still and all, having a 'galactic atlas' about various planets (or was all that from tapping Yurisha's mind too?) they should have had a proper nav chart for the trip.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:57 am

  • If a message comes in from Telezart, I assume they can track it back to the source. No magic needed for that one.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:20 pm

  • Steve H wrote:OK, yes, re-watched ep. 17. Yurisha was in a coma, having been caught in the same explosion that gave Yuki amnesia. So they loaded her into a cold sleep capsule and somehow scanned her memory engrams for the course and direction. It seems her being 'plugged in' is just for the ST:TNG style technobabble mind reading. She is not actually steering the ship.

    Still and all, having a 'galactic atlas' about various planets (or was all that from tapping Yurisha's mind too?) they should have had a proper nav chart for the trip.


    Those are questions yet to be answered by Izubuchi or the writers... They had four years to work on pre-production, and since they argued about every thing in the pre-production of the series, down to minute details, I'm sure that they thought these things out. But, there's the Japanese penchant for not beating the audience over the head with those details, because they expect the audience to fill in the blanks, or that it doesn't move the plot along, so they don't bother with such minutia.

    Tim Eldred wrote:If a message comes in from Telezart, I assume they can track it back to the source. No magic needed for that one.


    Precisely.

    Interestingly, I like how Izubuchi and the writers "eliminated" certain details from the original series, but if you look closer, they've just been repurposed or inverted (i.e. Starsha taking over the Navigation Globe in the '74 series, now becomes an Iscandarian literally *in* the Navigation System, and originally Balan/Balun had an artificial sun, which is destroyed by the WMG to get the Yamato out of a tight spot, whereas in Y2199, Balun has an artificial core, which is destroyed by the WMG to get the Yamato out of a tight spot. The more you watch these episodes, the more of these come to light.) I guess I have to start writing about these details for the website, right Tim? ;)
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 am
    Location: San Francisco, California

Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:41 pm

  • Someone other than me will need to take the lead on the episode analyses. I've asked around, but nobody has taken me up on it yet.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:46 pm

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:46 am

  • August Ragone wrote:Tim, would that be in the form of detailed, scene-by-scene plot synopses?


    I think more than that, a deconstruction of the episode, maybe a 'compare and contrast' with other media (not just Original Yamato but the original pre-cut story arcs, the Matsumoto-ized revision, that sort of thing), and so on. That's my guess.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 am

  • Yes, that would perfect for the Sidebar Commentary, as such. (Plus, there are all of these other, non-Yamato/Anime, references in 2199 that would fly over the heads of the vast majority of fans outside of Japan, which I could point out and explain.)
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 am
    Location: San Francisco, California

PreviousNext


Return to Second Bridge




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron