First Poll!

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***

What from the original series should have been in 2199 but wasn't?

The Star Force Salute!
39%
The Asteroid Ring!
42%
Balanosaurus!
No votes
Desslok Mines!
3%
Analyzer/IQ-9's skirt-chasing!
6%
Wildstar and Venture duking it out!
6%
Gaping Plot Holes!
No votes
The native life on Pluto!
3%

Total votes : 31

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:34 am

• The way it has worked in the past is Arthur Painter wrote up his own synopsis of an episode peppered with his observations. Then I would edit his draft and insert my notes, either from translated material or my own perspectives. Then others would chime in, like Matt Murray and Andrea Controzzi. So in the end it sort of becomes a group project. Step one is to have somebody lay down the foundation. That can't be me, since I simply don't have the time.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:44 am

• August Ragone wrote:Yes, that would perfect for the Sidebar Commentary, as such. (Plus, there are all of these other, non-Yamato/Anime, references in 2199 that would fly over the heads of the vast majority of fans outside of Japan, which I could point out and explain.)

And that's a thing. A need to parse not only the distinct 'call outs' to previous incarnations of Yamato, but all the other super film nerd stuff. I'm feeling pretty sure there are scenes that reference movies I've never even heard of (I'm guessing famous Japanese dramas, famous in Japan. Films akin to Casablanca and Gone with the Wind and The Lady Eve that have zero impact in America) in addition to all the other, more obvious hommage.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:13 pm

• Tim Eldred wrote:The way it has worked in the past is Arthur Painter wrote up his own synopsis of an episode peppered with his observations. Then I would edit his draft and insert my notes, either from translated material or my own perspectives. Then others would chime in, like Matt Murray and Andrea Controzzi. So in the end it sort of becomes a group project. Step one is to have somebody lay down the foundation. That can't be me, since I simply don't have the time.

I'm sure a number of us will be able to contribute to this one, Tim.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:15 am

• Dan, yes but it will have to be coordinated by one person, so it doesn't become a "too many cooks" situation. And I'd like to be the person to supervise it, since I've not yet contributed anything significant to Cosmo DNA as of yet, and I mentioned my desire to take on such a project to Tim a while back. And I've already compiled a series of notes about homages and trivia for a number of the episodes. So, we have you (Dan) and Steve, perhaps (if I'm not being too presumptuous)? :)

The new YAMATO: 2199 book coming this week will no doubt help with this — as I can read Japanese — as well as the "Earth" and "Garmillas" books.
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:39 am

• August Ragone wrote:Dan, yes but it will have to be coordinated by one person, so it doesn't become a "too many cooks" situation. And I'd like to be the person to supervise it, since I've not yet contributed anything significant to Cosmo DNA as of yet, and I mentioned my desire to take on such a project to Tim a while back. And I've already compiled a series of notes about homages and trivia for a number of the episodes. So, we have you (Dan) and Steve, perhaps (if I'm not being too presumptuous)? :)

The new YAMATO: 2199 book coming this week will no doubt help with this — as I can read Japanese — as well as the "Earth" and "Garmillas" books.

And that's the thing. There NEEDS to be a central editor, one who knows his (or her) s**t. Crowdsourcing is all well and good, but someone has to separate the wheat from the chaff. :)

BUT, it's important the editor not be hidebound by personal preconceptions. I had a situation long long ago going over something and I came across that it was desired to call 'Be Forever Yamato' (in romanji) Yamato yo Eien ne and I pretty much exploded and pointed out the proper romanji was Yamato yo towa ni. I was told I didn't know Japanese and thus had no valid opinion on the matter. I pointed out that EVERY SINGLE POSTER, not to mention every piece of merchandise with the movie logo on it, had nigori marks to SPECIFY that the kanji was meant to use a different, I guess slightly archaic phrasing. Didn't even mention how the narrator in the TRAILER said 'Towa ni' over and over. I never did get an apology over that.

I am never going to call Arrivederci, Yamato by the current name of Farewell to Yamato. I believe 'New Journey' is a better fit and more in keeping with what Nishizaki would have wanted than 'New Voyage'. I believe Final Yamato doesn't actually exist and is only a movie made about the fictional last mission of the Yamato. I am clearly an insane, obsessed fanboy with no attachment to reality and my refusing to bend on some issues is no doubt a sign of my not being a 'team player' or some such. :)

Be careful what you wish for, August. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:54 pm

• Steve, ineed. I also believe that FINAL YAMATO does not exist. :mrgreen:

For those who are unaware, I have spent the better part of the Internet Age dispelling such rumors, much to my chagrin. As for me, I deal in facts and research, not invective. This is why I was hired to write the first, authorized biography of Eiji Tsuburaya (the father of Japanese visual effects) by his family and the company he founded in 1963 (which later produced ULTRAMAN). Even so, I still had to pass muster with the Editors at Chronicle Books (I won this with a 30-page sample on the history of Tsuburaya Productions, which was part of an unpublished manuscript for a series of magazine features).

For my book, "Eiji Tsuburaya: Master of Monsters," I only used Japanese source materials; doing the research, translation, and writing as I went along. All research was fact-checked by Tsuburaya Productions, and I provided them with my citations for approval. My book was warmly received by Time magazine and the Library Journal. Additionally, it is in a number of public and university libraries, as well as part of various cinema studies courses. A softcover edition is being prepped for April 2014 as well as a French-language edition.

Besides this, I have edited the annual "Japanese Monsters" issue of the current incarnation of "Famous Monsters" magazine since 2011, as "Contributing Editor"; in which I solicit, edit and fact check all of the submissions (also served as "Managing Editor" on their spin-off "Monster Attack Team.") And I've written numerous Liner Notes booklets for US releases of Japanese films/teleseries, as well as wrote, researched, and recorded several Audio Commentaries. BTW, I also've been the interview subject/research associate for several documentaries, including one for BBC-TV. So, I'm more than up for the duty. Plus, even though this gig doesn't pay, I want to do it because I'm dyed-in-the-wool Yamatomaniac.

So, yes. Just the facts, ma'am (Joe Friday's real line was, "All we want are the facts."). ;)

(I also like to wish recklessly.)
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:14 pm

• August Ragone wrote:Steve, ineed. I have spent the better part of the Internet Age dispelling such rumors, much to my chagrin. As for me, I deal in facts and research, not invective. This is why I was hired to write the first, authorized biography of Eiji Tsuburaya (the father of Japanese visual effects) by his family and the company he founded in 1963 (which later produced ULTRAMAN). Even so, I still had to pass muster with the Editors at Chronicle Books (I won this with a 30-page sample on the history of Tsuburaya Productions, which was part of an unpublished manuscript for a series of magazine features). For my book, I only used Japanese publications as my source material, doing the research, translation, and writing as I went along. All research was fact-checked by Tsuburaya Productions, and I provided them with my citations for approval. My book was warmly received by Time magazine and the Library Journal. Additionally, it is in a number of public and university libraries, as well as part of various cinema studies courses. A softcover edition is being prepped for April 2014 as well as a French-language edition.

Besides this, I have edited the annual "Japanese Monsters" issue of the current incarnation of "Famous Monsters" magazine since 2011, as "Contributing Editor"; in which I solicit, edit and fact check all of the submissions. So, I'm more than up for the duty. Plus, even though this gig doesn't pay, I want to do it because I'm dyed-in-the-wool Yamatomaniac.

So, yes. Just the facts, ma'am (Joe Friday's real line was, "All we want are the facts."). ;)

Don't forget your work with Markalite. I still have all three issues. :)

About that Tsuburaya book, yeah, get that sucker back into print somehow, OK? I'm not about to shell out several hundred bucks for it, that's money that needs to go to Yamato 2199 kits and Yamato Sound Almanac releases. :)

(I prefer hardcovers for my 'research' books but a nice TPB is perfectly acceptable)

There's nothing wrong with opinion, I relish the discussion and learning new views on things, but as is said, opinion is not fact. It's not my opinion that Be Forever Yamato was Yamato yo towa ni in romanji, it's documented fact. Arrivederci, Yamato may be considered an 'outdated' International title for Saraba Yamato, but it DID exist and my opinion is it's a much more elegant title. New Journey/New Voyage, aside from 'Voyage' being the formal International title is mainly a subjective, full on opinion matter as there never was a contemporary English rendering.

ah. it is what it is. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:54 pm

• Steve H wrote:Don't forget your work with Markalite. I still have all three issues. :)

Thanks! It was a labor of love and a trail by fire; and if Jeffry Tibbets (who also published Animag) hadn't skipped state after losing Animag to Mailbu Press (which went belly up not long after, ironically), there would've been more issues of Markalite (in fact, #4 was completed, but Herr Tibbets never sent it to the printers).

Steve H wrote:About that Tsuburaya book, yeah, get that sucker back into print somehow, OK? I'm not about to shell out several hundred bucks for it, that's money that needs to go to Yamato 2199 kits and Yamato Sound Almanac releases. :)

(I prefer hardcovers for my 'research' books but a nice TPB is perfectly acceptable)

Yeah, I remember some people scoffing at the initial $40 cover price for the original Hardcover Coffeetable... Boy, were they upset when the book didn't go to cutout bins or discount tables, and the secondary market prices started climbing! :P

Steve H wrote:There's nothing wrong with opinion, I relish the discussion and learning new views on things, but as is said, opinion is not fact.

Exactamundo!

Steve H wrote:It's not my opinion that Be Forever Yamato was Yamato yo towa ni in romanji, it's documented fact.

Agreed.

Steve H wrote:Arrivederci, Yamato may be considered an 'outdated' International title for Saraba Yamato, but it DID exist and my opinion is it's a much more elegant title.

Agreed. And it's Italian. :D

Steve H wrote:New Journey/New Voyage, aside from 'Voyage' being the formal International title is mainly a subjective, full on opinion matter as there never was a contemporary English rendering.

I was calling this one "New Voyage" from it's inception; 「旅立ち」(tabidachi; lit. Setting out on a journey/travel/adventure or Set sail on a voyage), so it can be either and/or. Therefore, being a ship, voyage would be the natural transliteration. But, it's all subjective, or course.

Steve H wrote:ah. it is what it is. :)

Indeed. ;)
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 am

• August Ragone wrote:Dan, yes but it will have to be coordinated by one person, so it doesn't become a "too many cooks" situation. And I'd like to be the person to supervise it, since I've not yet contributed anything significant to Cosmo DNA as of yet, and I mentioned my desire to take on such a project to Tim a while back. And I've already compiled a series of notes about homages and trivia for a number of the episodes. So, we have you (Dan) and Steve, perhaps (if I'm not being too presumptuous)? :)

Luis Cotovio would certainly like to be involved too, I'm sure. And I'm happy to contribute. As for who coordinates it, it certainly wouldn't be me, like Tim I don't have the time (having my own side projects I'm trying to work on once I finish my Yamatour report for November's update).
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

PreviousNext

Return to Second Bridge

Information