Battleship Yamato (BBY-01)

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:31 pm

• hartzilla2007 wrote:
    Ithekro wrote:That should not be possible unless one of two things happened.

One: Earth commissioned prototype wave motion engine designs with weaker power systems (based on either captured Gamilon tech or if in Yamato 2199, Yurisha's plans).

Two: Earth did have another type of faster-than-light drive system in use prior to 2199 and the introduction of wave motion technology. There are some scientific options for that that aren't entirely science fiction. Something like the proposed Alcubierre drive, which is a more plausible version of the 1980s style Star Trek warp drive. Something like this is suggested to maybe be able to move at 10 times the speed of light. Certainly not fast enough to reach Iscandar, but good enough to reach Barnard's Star is a reasonable period of time. Such a drive would use a ring of some sort and the ship the pioneers had did have a ring at the base. Such a drive system would be advanced by Earth standards, but the drive ring would be horribly exposed to weapons fire, and thus probably easy killing for Gamilon warships. Though warp flight in the solar system would provide at least some level of advantage if controllable verses the Gamilon wave motion engines. It is a thought to fix something without entirely breaking the rest of the story.

(Third option is a sleeper ship, but that did not see like how they described their voyage.)

Plus it would make sense seeing as the original idea prior to Iscandar helping was to send a a ship to escape the solar system and find a new planet for humans to live on, as doing that at slower than light speeds isn't very feesible.

Except is is feasible, as long as a. there will be no turning back and/or returning to Earth and b. there's no need to communicate with Earth.

Assuming a reactionless drive putting out between a half-g and 1-g constant thrust (which is what appears to be the case, the tech available pre -WMn) powered by some form of Nuclear Fusion reactor (again, I don't think there's ANY mention of what's powering the ships of the UNCF so Fusion is the most likely source), and given the time dilation effect that kicks in, it's entirely possible for a crew to make it SOMEWHERE within their lifetimes. Oh, I forgot practical suspended animation. They SEEM to have that but I will readily admit that may well actually be an Iscandarian pod of some form.

So, an 'ark' could work. The issues facing Earth were just not knowing where a habitable planet might be, combined with the realistic fact that there was no assurance whatsoever it would actually get out of the Solar System and not be destroyed by the Gamilas.

You know, as I reflect while typing this, I don't think they ever expressed just why Gamilas was attacking Earth other than 'Earth Shot First'. I may have to continue this in one of the other threads where it's more fitting.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:01 pm

• Steve H wrote:You know, as I reflect while typing this, I don't think they ever expressed just why Gamilas was attacking Earth other than 'Earth Shot First'. I may have to continue this in one of the other threads where it's more fitting.

They were probably still sticking with the galactic conquest plan, so really when you think about it in the long run it probably didn't really matter who shot first the war was likely inevitable.
    hartzilla2007
    Cadet

Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

• hartzilla2007 wrote:
    Plus it would make sense seeing as the original idea prior to Iscandar helping was to send a a ship to escape the solar system and find a new planet for humans to live on, as doing that at slower than light speeds isn't very feesible.

There is also the arrival of Sasha' ship into the Solar System. She came in as interstellar speeds...especially if she can make it from Neptune to Mars in ten minutes. That's something like 25 times the speed of light to cross that distance on January 17, 2199. It took Kirishima three weeks to cross that, though they may not have been going directly from Pluto to Mars, nor at full speed. Yamato crossed that distance is a few days with only one known warp...and that warp took them in the wrong direction.

hartzilla2007 wrote:
    Steve H wrote:You know, as I reflect while typing this, I don't think they ever expressed just why Gamilas was attacking Earth other than 'Earth Shot First'. I may have to continue this in one of the other threads where it's more fitting.

They were probably still sticking with the galactic conquest plan, so really when you think about it in the long run it probably didn't really matter who shot first the war was likely inevitable.

Even if the Gamilas invade the planet the humans find, the humans can surrender properly, or just be invaded without the need for planet bombing. Thus the humans would survive. Earth, by 2199, was a dead world. Even if the humans surrendered, they were as good as dead.
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:24 am

• with the induction of the BBY-01 registry system does that mean the M-2199 system is no longer in use?
    Philbob
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:02 am

• Philbob wrote:with the induction of the BBY-01 registry system does that mean the M-2199 system is no longer in use?

Be cautious to not confuse Original Yamato with Yamato 2199.

It's really easier that way. :)

Separate and equal. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Previous

Return to Second Bridge

Information