Episode 24 Production Question

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:52 pm

• People may or may not know that unlike a lot of voice recording for animation in America which is done one actor at a time, anime voice recordings in Japan are done with the ensemble in the booth at once - all actors involved in a scene record their dialog as a scene.

This poses an interesting question as far as one scene in Episode 24 is concerned. The scene in the field of flowers is a dialogue between Yurisha and Yuki, who were both voiced by Houkou Kuwashima. In this rare situation, how would the recording take place? Would it be a single session where both parts are played in a single session, or would they revert to the western method of separate character sessions?

The dialogue in question does not have any interruption of one character over the other, so I'd be inclined to lean towards a single session. Makes you wonder how many takes that needed though, for Kuwashima-san to be able to switch between both characters at the right time.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:53 am

• Of course, it would be up to the actor to decide the best method for them, but I'd say a minimum of two takes, one for each character, and maybe with a stand-in for the first pass. You would want to have the mindset of character A to be unbroken as you're reading the lines. Then ditto with B. Then as many refinement passes as necessary.

There are many radio and recording artists who have this down to a science, and that's how many of them approach it.
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 pm

• I've asked that question of a few Japanese voice actors in the past and they cite the process Tim describes.

The notable exception being a story Kotono Mitsuishi told about scene in an episode of Gundam Seed where she voiced both the ship captain Marrue Ramius and the mascot-robot Haro. And tried to do it on one take.

She had four lines of Ramius (tough, commanding military woman in midst of battle) with a single Haro line in the middle (high, squeaky little robot). First three Ramius lines: perfect. Haro Line Perfect. Fourth Ramius Line: said in Haro's squeaky voice. This led to everyone completely cracking up and her earning the cast nickname "Haro-Kanjo" (Captain Haro).
    DevinCx
    Cadet

Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:37 pm

• That right there is a classic. :D
    Logan
    Cadet

Return to Second Bridge

Information