Report In

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:53 am

• Name's Brian. I'm a bit of a generalist. Artwork, modeling, music/vocals, coding. It seems I rotate through everything in phases, and right now I'm back on a Star Blazers kick due to the Yamato 2199 project.

I must say I like this website. The front-facing page is a marvel of UI engineering.
    chromemonkey
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:21 pm

• chromemonkey wrote:Name's Brian. I'm a bit of a generalist. Artwork, modeling, music/vocals, coding. It seems I rotate through everything in phases, and right now I'm back on a Star Blazers kick due to the Yamato 2199 project.

I must say I like this website. The front-facing page is a marvel of UI engineering.

I work the same, although only in artwork. Being a big fan of a lot of different franchises such as Stargate and Star Wars but even non-sci-fi makes it difficult for me to concentrate on one particular work, especially since I also want to work on my own ideas. I hope I can focus long enough on the Yamato to finish it. But since Yamato made the same impact Stargate did a long time ago, I won't give up now.
    Andromeda92
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 pm

• Welcome, everybody! I'm a longtime fan as well. I developed a love for the show during its original syndication run on Cincinnati TV in 1979-1980, and it's always stayed with me...thanks in no small part to the animation work of Noboru Ishiguro and the music of Hiroshi Miyagawa. Tim's been very generous in allowing me to be involved with his site, and he's put together an unparalleled resource for all Star Blazers and Yamato fans. I'm happy that I can be a part of it!
    Robert Ratliff
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:11 am

• Hi Russell here from Great Britain - semi regular on the Cosmo DNA FB page.
    been interested in Yamato since about the mid 80's when my [not sadly departed] dad brought home a VHS copy of the then only UK release of Yamato [released as space cruiser Yamato].
    However it would'nt be until many years later after i heard an interview that Tim did for anime world order podcast that made me remember it that got me into the series full time.
    I've currently watched all of the original 3 Starblazers series via the Playstation network [and thanks to my wonderful, WONDERFUL PS Vita] and I've also reviewed the live action adaptation which came out in the UK this year for the UK anime network [link to the review here].

Oh, and i'm probably the only Yamato fan who hasn't yet watched 2199 [either through official or...not so official channels].

yep, definitely going to wait for a western release...yepyepyep

[repeated nervous twitch's]
    Wednesday has been cancelled due to a scheduling error.
    macloud
    Cadet

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:58 am

• Hi, I'm Norbie from Australia, Canberra. Thirty-Eight years young.

I first saw Star Blazers back in '83 shortly after arriving to Australia from Germany. Of course back then I didn't know the background of the show and where it came from. Also at the time I was I huge fan of Battle of the Planets. It wasn't until the beginning of the 21st century when I got into Anime (fell in love with Spirited Away) that I finally understood the history. At the time the only available version of Yamato was Star Blazers and I got all of the series on DVD, and really wanting the original version I had to order a fan sub version found on the internets. It was the original unedited version and the quality of the transfer was just as good, if not better, the the official Star Blazers DVD. The subtitles were a different story so I await in eager anticipation of an English friendly release of the original Yamato, but I know it will probably never come.

Then 2199 Yamato arrived.

When I found out that the Japanese blu-rays had English subtitles I knew I had to get them. Not having a large disposable income I had to sacrifice a few other shows but it's been worth it. If only the blu-ray special features had English subtitles, but alas you can't get everything. Every 2-3 months I get two volumes along with a Ghibli bluray release from AmazonJP to save a little bit on postage; CDJapan is also a good option.

See you guys/gals around.

:D
    Norbie
    Cadet

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:04 pm

• Hey all!

My name's Deborah and I'm a whole 22 years old - which I see is younger than most of you here. :)

I discovered the American "Star Blazers" at my local library when I was 10. From the very first episode, I was hooked. I also started following the old starblazers.com (before Voyager Entertainment re-commandeered it) back in 2003. I bought all three series on DVD back in 2006 or 2007 and have watched them through a number of times since.

I started doing SB/Y fanart and fanfiction a number of years ago, but only started posting them online this past January. Needless to say, it's been an adventure. :D

Anyhow. I'm so happy about the addition of this forum to the site.

Oh! And I did make my avatar.
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:26 am

• Name's Phillip Thorne (no point in obscuring my username); place is west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; and I seem to be the third person here to have first encountered Star Blazers in the Philadelphia TV market. My home SF convention is Philcon, which for the past several years has carried Yamato program items in its anime track, courtesy of Walter Amos and Robert Fenelon (and usually Amy Howard Wilson, the voice of Nova). My principal interests in SF lean towards the technical (boy do I miss rec.arts.startrek.tech on Usenet), and hence my taste in anime towards space and mecha. I've visited Japan twice, for the 2007 Worldcon in Yokohama, and the 2012 Hal-con (also in Yokohama, and coincidentally during the theatrical run of SBY2199 Chapter 1). (As it happens, Hal-con 2013's artist guest of honor was Naoyuki Katoh, one of SBY's mechanical designers in 1974.)

Professionally and FWIW, I work in international macroeconomic data, which is not exactly the "endless wonder" of Warehouse 13, but does require endless detective work. I'm prohibited from mentioning my employer by name, but my affiliation isn't difficult to find.

Expect some LEGO models on the Holodeck forum in the near future, including a nanoscale Yukikaze and not-quite-minifig-scale Cosmotiger II. (But they're competing for time with the program book for Philcon 2013, November 8-10.)
    PhillipThorne
    Cadet

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:37 pm

• Philadelphia has always been a hot bed of Star Blazers fans. I remember going to comic conventions and the tables that had the Yamato stuff always had more people around them than the other tables.

I also remember that when Channel 29 (A TAFT station back then) took SB off the air, there was a petition going around conventions to get it back on the air and to air the 3rd season.

I have VHS tapes of the show and all of the commercials featured Phillies legend Tug McGraw. Channel 29 was the broadcast home of the Phillies. The show aired at 3:30PM Mondays through Fridays. School let out at 2:45 and I would rush home, eat and settle in for Star Blazers before doing homework.
    Chris
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:00 pm

• Sounds like Philly and San Francisco were kindred spirits in terms of STAR BLAZERS fans; the show was on in the afternoons (4:30 pm), so everyone saw it — and those fans helped to stoke the fires of early Anime Fandom — and conventions would be stocked with Yamato merch (people had costumes and we'd stage SB viewing marathons at local shows). It was a fun time, wasn't it?
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:06 am

• Hey everyone!

Long tim Yamato/Star Blazers fan here. I started watching it around 1980 when I was just 5 years old. It was the most amazingest thing I'd ever seen. Over the years, I've collected the 3 series and the movies all on VHS... though I need to get back and watch them again, especially now with 2199 around.

I just finished watching episode 26 of 2199 a few days ago, and I am extremely pleased... to tears... with the series.

I'll see you all online.

BTW, I love the security question I had to register my account. Brilliant.
    Tevanos
    Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Third Bridge

Information