Report In

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:27 am

• Norbie wrote:Hi, I'm Norbie from Australia, Canberra. Thirty-Eight years young.

I first saw Star Blazers back in '83 shortly after arriving to Australia from Germany. Of course back then I didn't know the background of the show and where it came from. Also at the time I was I huge fan of Battle of the Planets. It wasn't until the beginning of the 21st century when I got into Anime (fell in love with Spirited Away) that I finally understood the history. At the time the only available version of Yamato was Star Blazers and I got all of the series on DVD, and really wanting the original version I had to order a fan sub version found on the internets. It was the original unedited version and the quality of the transfer was just as good, if not better, the the official Star Blazers DVD. The subtitles were a different story so I await in eager anticipation of an English friendly release of the original Yamato, but I know it will probably never come.

Then 2199 Yamato arrived.

When I found out that the Japanese blu-rays had English subtitles I knew I had to get them. Not having a large disposable income I had to sacrifice a few other shows but it's been worth it. If only the blu-ray special features had English subtitles, but alas you can't get everything. Every 2-3 months I get two volumes along with a Ghibli bluray release from AmazonJP to save a little bit on postage; CDJapan is also a good option.

See you guys/gals around.

:D

G'day Norbie, nice to see a fellow Aussie around! Like you I first saw Star Blazers in '83 at the ripe old age of 9 when it first aired on the ABC in the 1980s, having replaced Flash Gordon in the 5pm timeslot on weekafternoons (and joining an anime rotation that included Battle of the Planets and Astro Boy). Hopefully if Madman (as expected) pick up 2199, it will air on ABC3 on Saturday nights.

dtill359 wrote:Hey all!

My name's Deborah and I'm a whole 22 years old - which I see is younger than most of you here. :)

I discovered the American "Star Blazers" at my local library when I was 10. From the very first episode, I was hooked. I also started following the old starblazers.com (before Voyager Entertainment re-commandeered it) back in 2003. I bought all three series on DVD back in 2006 or 2007 and have watched them through a number of times since.

I started doing SB/Y fanart and fanfiction a number of years ago, but only started posting them online this past January. Needless to say, it's been an adventure. :D

Anyhow. I'm so happy about the addition of this forum to the site.

Oh! And I did make my avatar.

Welcome aboard, Deborah! Nice to see more of the younger generation coming aboard, and that Star Blazers/Yamato grabbed your imagination the way it did many of ours thirty or more years ago! Love the avatar! Hope you feel like sharing more of your artwork and fan fiction with us.

Tevanos wrote:Hey everyone!

Long tim Yamato/Star Blazers fan here. I started watching it around 1980 when I was just 5 years old. It was the most amazingest thing I'd ever seen. Over the years, I've collected the 3 series and the movies all on VHS... though I need to get back and watch them again, especially now with 2199 around.

I just finished watching episode 26 of 2199 a few days ago, and I am extremely pleased... to tears... with the series.

I'll see you all online.

Welcome aboard, Sir. Please feel free to pop in all over the shop and get discussions going, or join ones that are already going on!

Tevanos wrote:BTW, I love the security question I had to register my account. Brilliant.

Thanks. The recommended practice for these sorts of authentications (in place of Captcha, which is now easily broken down by bots) is to do something that needs some degree of logic. So I thought I'd keep it in the spirit of the site, and things a true fan would know!
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 pm

• Hello all!
    I just go by theshadowboss. I have fairly recently become a fan of Yamato, but how I love it so. I come from a SF background, like a lot of the old-school fans, reading stuff like Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke (The Space Odyssey series is one of my all time favorites), Frank Herbert, and even stuff like E.E. "Doc" Smith (Lensmen is another favorite of mine). I was browsing around a few years ago, and came across some images from the show. I watched the first few episodes, and I was instantly hooked. If you want, you can check me out on tumblr, http://theshadowboss.tumblr.com, where I post about stupid anime crap. On a side note, I am really into woodworking, mountain biking, and alpine ski racing. Feel free to PM me with any questions, or when you have a problem and I'm the only mod online.
    theshadowboss

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm

• simply hello. I am shipbuilder and of course, am a large yamato fan. from the legend of the original series, to stylized YAMATO2520, to the current 2199. I just simply hope I can be of use to the discussions on this forum.
    shipbuilder
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 pm

• Bruce Lewis here, first-gen (1979) STAR BLAZERS fan, comics artist, and designer. Actually I was a fan before that -- c. 1975-1980 my aunt, who is Japanese, used to bring back loads of Leijimanga, candy, and toys, so I grew up with it. I still think STAR BLAZERS/YAMATO is the best SF anime ever made.

Tim, John Ott, and I produced the STAR BLAZERS comic book back in the olden days. That was fun.

My most important job is husband and father.

I still draw, but I am semi-retired now and concentrate more on creating books. You can find my bestselling (no, really!) book DRAW MANGA on Amazon:

English-language version: http://www.amazon.com/Draw-Manga-Your-Unique-Style/dp/1843401886
    Chinese-language version: http://amzn.to/1fiym9s

Nine years old and still in print!

I also design book covers, logos, etc. on the side.

My other career is as a vocal performance artist. I have done voices for about a million anime dubs (you can look me up on IMDB or ANN if you are curious about which ones). I am also a former Top 40 radio DJ, and I still do radio spots, PSA, and other VO from time to time.

My current project is my first children's storybook, FAMILY TO THE MOON. I'll finish it by summer if it kills me.
    BruceLewis
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 pm

• Welcome back to the fold, Bruce!
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:59 am

• BruceLewis wrote:Bruce Lewis here, first-gen (1979) STAR BLAZERS fan, comics artist, and designer.

Well, I know that piece that was posted on the "old" starblazers.com - "The Star Blazers History of the Galaxy" that you were involved in making was highly inspirational to me back in 2003/2004 when I first read it. In fact, it inspired a piece of the SB/Y Alternate Universe fanfic effort I just started posting online in January 2013. :)
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:53 am

• Glad you liked it, cadet. I can't take sole credit for the H of the G, though. A team of old-school Star Blazers fans led by Derek Wakefield and Jeff Blend volunteered their time and effort to research the Star Blazers Universe and compile a sort of encyclopedia of SB lore. Thanks to their hard work, I was able to weave original concepts in with the details about the SBU presented in the show and create a believable series bible that tied together the many loose ends of the SBU without stretching the "facts" given in the series as broadcast.

In short: while I did come up with a lot of the "big picture" concepts in the History, the work as a whole was strictly a team effort, one for which Derek, Jeff and the others will be forever honored on Heroes' Hill.
    BruceLewis
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:22 pm

• That material is still here on this site, in the articles section under "World of Star Blazers."
    Tim Eldred
    Captain

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:42 pm

• I know. :) I've actually looked it up a couple of times so far to reread some pieces I had forgotten about. It's amazing how some things stick in your head even though you haven't seen them in over 10 years.
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:31 am

• Just realized that I never filled this out! My name is Patrick and I live in Massachusetts, I remember the classic series as a kid and it was on actually two stations, but the good thing about this was that I had three animes in the afternoon! 3pm was Force Five, then Star Blazers, followed up with Battle of the planets! My collection of SBY and Star Blazers was at first was the videos and movies (Thank you Suncoast!) Then the release of the comics from Argo press. I bought the complete series on VHS, but the copies were the worst copies I ever saw, but it was a thrill to see the show again. Another drought for a number of years and after many Yahoo searches I found there was an audience for the show I loved! Then I read in one of the user group BBS (remember those?) about the original show was highly edited and the show in Japan was somewhat different that what us kids in the USA were seeing. My jaw dropped and I wanted to know more, but there was no you tube or high speed internet at the time and downloading snippets on my windows media player took FOREVER!, but I digress....
    Present day (2014) and I now have so much SBY merchandise I will never let this show get out of my grasp and now have friends who share this love!
    pjbleakney
    Cadet

PreviousNext

Return to Third Bridge

Information