Gamilas or Garmillas?

Home of the FAQ. Got a question? See if it's answered here first. If not, Ask Analyzer!
Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:36 am

• I've been wondering about this for some time.

In the original series the enemy was known as Gamilas from the planet Gamilas (Gamilon in Star Blazers). Even in the first 2199 episode they were still called Gamilas but later they are called "Garmillas".

Why did it change like that? In other sources they are still referred to as Gamilas even when in context with 2199.
    Andromeda92
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:19 pm

• In creating the original series, the root name that "Gamilas" 「ガミラス」(Gamirasu) was coined from was "Carmilla," from the Sheridan Le Fanu vampiric novella of the same name. This is widely known among Japanese fans, especially a hardcore fan like 2199's Supervising Director Yutaka Izubuchi. Even though the Japanese rendering of "Carmilla" is 「カーミラ」(Kaamira), one of the original production notes from the '74 series had the Gamilas rendered as 「ガーミラス」(Gaamirasu), later shortened to 「ガミラス」(Gamirasu) , as the series was being written.

With 2199, the English translation team went with the previously accepted translation of "Gamilas." That was until Director Izubuchi told them that he was running with "Garmillas" (according to one of the translators, himself). So, I guess we could use the original translation in reference to the original series and movies, and "Garmillas" in reference to the aliens in the new 2199 continuity.

But, a rose by any other name...
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:31 pm

• A blue rose?
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:51 am

• A, that makes perfect sense. I've read about the reference to "Carmilla" somewhere but didn't make the connection until now.
    Andromeda92
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Return to Third Bridge

Information