Cosmo DNA Mission complete... now what?

Forum for discussing the classic Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers continuity, including the TV series, the movies through Final Yamato, as well as Yamato Resurrection.

• Steve H wrote:As to why not use all those Super Giant Missiles? In Star Blazers it's implied it's a new weapon just arrived at Pluto, seemingly untested in battle. Or at least not used specifically against the Earth... My assumption would be 'big dumb rocks' salted with radioactives were just easier and cheaper and much more failure-proof. You save your nukes for the final push. Specific hard targets.

Agree. These were new and we could consider them "Bunker Busters" on a tremendous scale.

Steve H wrote:It may well be that Gamilas recon plane was recording the locations of the underground cities and shelters, generating targeting data. It wasn't looking for the Yamato per se, but the town built under it for the construction would surely have pinged on the sensors. Which is why the Super Giant Missile had such precise targeting data.

This is plausable and fits into the series' internal logic.

DanGeorge wrote:It should be noted, that while I can't tell for certain whether Space Battleship Yamato's narration mentions it or not (as I don't speak Japanese, and my only copy of the oriignal Yamato is raw Japanese Blu-Ray), Star Blazers most certainly does say that Pluto was where the planet bombs were launched from (albeit unbeknownst to the Star Force). Of all the things that are lost in translation, I'd be very surprised if that was one of them. If that's not where the planet bombs are launched from, then it makes little sense for Yamato to divert from its course and attack the Pluto base.

As I stated on the previous page, I do believe (IIRC) that the Yamato learns of that Pluto is the source of the Planet Bombs, which is why Captain Okita decides to stop them once and for all (would have to watch the episodes again to verify on deny this). Also, good information on astronomical and planetary data — thanks!
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

• I would question why the fleet was heading for Pluto in the first episode if they did not know about the Gamilon planet bombs coming from there. Unless all they knew is that was the main staging area for the Gamilon fleet.

The whole plan with the Earth fleet at Pluto makes little sense in the original without them having knowledge about the Gamilon being their.

Was it suggested in dialog that the Planet Bombs were launched from Pluto in devices similar to the Giant Missiles? I seem to recall an image that looked like Giant Missiles ready to launch but with a red glow in them similar to the planet bombs (that and the Gamilons launching 20 that day before Yamato adjusted course for Pluto).
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class

• Ithekro wrote:I would question why the fleet was heading for Pluto in the first episode if they did not know about the Gamilon planet bombs coming from there. Unless all they knew is that was the main staging area for the Gamilon fleet.

The whole plan with the Earth fleet at Pluto makes little sense in the original without them having knowledge about the Gamilon being their.

Was it suggested in dialog that the Planet Bombs were launched from Pluto in devices similar to the Giant Missiles? I seem to recall an image that looked like Giant Missiles ready to launch but with a red glow in them similar to the planet bombs (that and the Gamilons launching 20 that day before Yamato adjusted course for Pluto).

The EDF fleet was heading outward, I'm really not sure just how far into the outer system they made it before the Gamilas appeared.

Kodai makes mention of a 'battle near Pluto' but by visual evidence it appears that the EDF fleet got bounced somewhere around Neptune. Given the lightspeed limitations of radio the Mars Observation base wouldn't know the actual area of the battle until it was over.

We have no image of how the Planet Bombs were started on their way. Everything shown implies unpowered rocks. There's no doubt they were given some kind of boost, but the mechanics of this were never developed as far as I know. Myself, I always assumed some form of 'mass driver' pitching them down-well. Or maybe a rotating beanstalk, a 'slinger'.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Previous

Return to First Bridge

Information