53rd Hobby Show news

Place to discuss merchandise, including Audiovisual media, toys/models, and publications.
Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:49 pm

  • This was addressed in 2199 Report 25, in one of the hobby show entries from October. Bandai has announced that they won't do the larger ships because they're too big for the average Japanese home. They probably have other reasons that make more sense, but that's the public one.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 pm

  • Dommel's ship would be nearly 29 inches long while Dessler's would be almost 25 inches long. But I want them anyway. More than the other ships, because I can get versions of the other ships in other scales...but not those two (well Dommel's ship you can in miniature, but it doesn't give off the size very well).
    User avatar
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 51
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:13 am

  • ok that argument abt the dommel being to large for Japanese homes doesn't hold any water...Bandai is releasing a 1/500 Yamato that will measure 26 odd inches long-in December---so Bandai better come up w a better excuse---especially since there is a market for it...Bandai's Yamato 2199 line is doing exceptionally well here in the states---so imagine how its going in Japan...I dun no--I gotta hope
    aphantom2518
    Cadet
     
    Posts: 3
    Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:29 am

Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:06 am

  • aphantom2518 wrote:ok that argument abt the dommel being to large for Japanese homes doesn't hold any water...Bandai is releasing a 1/500 Yamato that will measure 26 odd inches long-in December---so Bandai better come up w a better excuse---especially since there is a market for it...Bandai's Yamato 2199 line is doing exceptionally well here in the states---so imagine how its going in Japan...I dun no--I gotta hope


    Without question the "too large for Japanese homes" fails as any rational excuse. If this were the main factor then all the other manufacturers cranking out giant (and I mean GIANT) model kits would be dead and gone. Tamiya keeps making 1/350 battleships and carriers. Revell keeps making very large submarine kits (usually 1/72 scale. These are intended to be modified into radio controlled subs), let us not forget the recent 1/350 Starship Enterprise from Round 2/Polar Lights. A beautiful kit I would be completely afraid to try and build.

    Big kits are not impossible.

    What the guiding factor is, in my opinon, is Bandai's deeply held wish that EVERY kit in a line sells as well as the 'main protagonist' kit- simplifed, that every Gundam kit sells as well as the hero's Gundam, or that every Yamato kit sells as well as the Yamato. But reality is peaks and valleys. You CANNOT expect everything to be a peak. It's irrational and illogical. The rational business model is the peaks helps fund the valleys, and then everything averages higher because more people are pleased and spend money on what they want.

    If one is concerned that a run of kits may be too many valleys, the logic is to work on a new peak kit. I fear the carriers are going to be a drain. They're big, expensive and honestly the Tri-deck carrier (ya know, there's really FOUR landing/launch decks on that thing...:) ) could just as easily been one kit with parts for all the variations. It's not the 'easy' re-pop and mold re-use that the Cosmo Zero and the Cosmo Falcon are.

    I wanna see Domeu's ship. It's such an insane thing to make. I hope they would include the landing gear, a feature they appear to have neglected in the carriers.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:45 pm

  • IMHO, the real reason is similar to what Steve laid out. No kit in the 2199 line is going to sell as well as Yamato itself, so only Yamato gets the deluxe treatment. The others are subject to a more stringent cost/benefit analysis. In addition to production of the molds, there is also packaging and shipping. Bigger boxes take up more room in shipping crates and on shelves, so fewer will be stocked. Retailers can stock more smaller kits than larger ones, so they'll order fewer jumbos unless it's a hero ship.

    So, while "too big for Japanese homes" is the stated reason, there are many more that don't ring hollow. But admitting to them would open a path of inquiry that leads to proprietary information that Bandai probably doesn't want to share.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm

  • Save that they already have a 1/1000 scale model of Dommel's ship done. They've been using it at their shows for almost a year now. They've done the tooling it would seem for that one. They could see how it sells and see if people want Dessler's ship. How many versions of Dessler's ship have sold over the years? It was pretty much the most famous ship in the show after Yamato and Andromeda.
    User avatar
    Ithekro
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 51
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:06 am

  • Ithekro wrote:Save that they already have a 1/1000 scale model of Dommel's ship done. They've been using it at their shows for almost a year now. They've done the tooling it would seem for that one. They could see how it sells and see if people want Dessler's ship. How many versions of Dessler's ship have sold over the years? It was pretty much the most famous ship in the show after Yamato and Andromeda.


    They have a PROTOTYPE. There is no proof they've tooled up, actually cut steel for a production version. Bandai uses virtual prototyping for their kits and mill the steel directly from computer data, so they can turn the job around faster, but it's still a very large investment when the cutting head meets steel.

    And as Tim said, the reality of the Japanese hobby shop must be taken into account. Right now Bandai is doing a very large push with Gundam Build Fighters (A totally ridiculous show that somehow pushes all my buttons and thus is terribly fun) and that's going to take up some major shelf space. Never forget, no matter how successful Yamato 2199 plamo are, Bandai's bread and butter is still everything Gundam, and I strongly suspect there's a little 'Edo period style' internal power struggle going on because Yamato keeps succeeding and there are those that would wish it would quit like a good little 'short time' license.

    Yes, I believe there are people in upper management that choose to forget what Yamato meant to Bandai (it's all there in different interviews up on the main OurStarBlazers site) and thus are failing to have the proper respect. This is where Tim says I'm completely talking out of my a**. :)

    The giant Dessler ship is a tricky one. I could see the add-on parts being something available via Premium Bandai but I don't think it has quite the interest of the 'Dessler Ship' from Arrivederci,Yamato and Yamato 2. If anything it conceptually reminds me of the giant ship that shows up at the end of Yamato III- it really doesn't do that much but it got two kits.

    But Domeru's ship, that has history. Like the 'starfish' carrier and Shultz's ship it's a Classic Yamato design that was never kitted in styrene plastic, and there are several of them seen during Yamato 2199, including a Dessler Blue version. This has potential for multiple releases, thus increasing the R.O.I on the tooling.

    So we'll see. I seem to recall some gaps in the steady release schedule for 2014. It's got a decent chance I think.

    Mind, if they don't make a 1/72 Cosmo Seagull (at least two variations possible) and a 1/72 Type 100, heads will roll. ;)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:41 am

  • Steve H wrote:
    Ithekro wrote:This is where Tim says I'm completely talking out of my a**


    Your premise is perfectly sound without speculating on personal motives. We don't need to go there.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:48 am

  • I've bought all of the kits so far and have room for just one of the carriers. Perhaps Bandai could reconsider releasing Dommel's ship in a smaller scale just so the fans get a model? A larger scale Yukikaze would be nice too.

    Anyhow, I'd be very happy with just all the fighters in 1/72nd scale from now on, plus the Seagull of course.

    So in 1/72nd it looks like we've got Melda's red DWG 262 and the DMB87 Stuka dive bomber next summer. Bandai will no doubt also do the 262 in green too. That leaves the DWG 109 fighter, DWG 229 fighter, FG156 reconnaisance plane, DDG 110 interceptor, FWG97 Torpedo bomber, DBG88 Drill Missile bomber, Type 100 ,Cosmo Seagull, perhaps the two Garmilas tanks and maybe the suckerfish ship. Crikey, I hope all these do get made. :D

    The DBG88 Drill Missile bomber would be massive (about a metre wide?) So I'm not sure if they'll actually make this either.
    1/144 perhaps?
    rayyorkie
    Cadet
     
    Posts: 5
    Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:00 am

Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:47 am

  • rayyorkie wrote:I've bought all of the kits so far and have room for just one of the carriers. Perhaps Bandai could reconsider releasing Dommel's ship in a smaller scale just so the fans get a model? A larger scale Yukikaze would be nice too.

    Anyhow, I'd be very happy with just all the fighters in 1/72nd scale from now on, plus the Seagull of course.

    So in 1/72nd it looks like we've got Melda's red DWG 262 and the DMB87 Stuka dive bomber next summer. Bandai will no doubt also do the 262 in green too. That leaves the DWG 109 fighter, DWG 229 fighter, FG156 reconnaisance plane, DDG 110 interceptor, FWG97 Torpedo bomber, DBG88 Drill Missile bomber, Type 100 ,Cosmo Seagull, perhaps the two Garmilas tanks and maybe the suckerfish ship. Crikey, I hope all these do get made. :D

    The DBG88 Drill Missile bomber would be massive (about a metre wide?) So I'm not sure if they'll actually make this either.
    1/144 perhaps?


    Sorry Ray, I misread your post. Thus, I've deleted my previous comment and replaced it with this.

    I think 1/144 would still be ambitious for the DBG88 as that would still have a wingspan 86% that of the 1/500 Yamato's length. Maybe half that again and you might get a model.

    I would be very surprised if the Yukikaze got an upscaled model treatment - while it's an iconic ship, its role in the show is somewhat limited and I would be doubtful if it would be considered a seller. Even if it got the 1/500 treatment that Yamato got, it would still only be around 16cm long - a 1/200 would get that up to 40cm. That would be a good enough size to get nice detail on the ship class.
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    User avatar
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
     
    Posts: 86
    Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:30 pm
    Location: Brisbane, Australia

PreviousNext


Return to Quartermaster's




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron