First Poll!

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***

What from the original series should have been in 2199 but wasn't?

The Star Force Salute!
39%
The Asteroid Ring!
42%
Balanosaurus!
No votes
Desslok Mines!
3%
Analyzer/IQ-9's skirt-chasing!
6%
Wildstar and Venture duking it out!
6%
Gaping Plot Holes!
No votes
The native life on Pluto!
3%

Total votes : 31

Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:59 pm

• It's time for our first forum poll!

Actually, this is the first of several for the weekend. If you don't see what you miss from the original series the most, leave it in a comment!
    Dan George
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
    Read Up from Down Under, my Yamatour 2013 Travelogue.
    DanGeorge
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:05 pm

• I'm going to be the nail that sticks up. :)

I'm not really concerned about ANY of the issues in the poll. Some of the things were silly, some of them were things we used to make jokes about in the old days, some of them are just logical choices for omission due to the changeup in story function.

If there's one thing I miss, comparing Original Yamato to Yamato 2199, is the 'hot blood' aspect of many of the characters. Emotions come across as REAL dialed down, much more stoic in 2199. Maybe this reflects a sense of maturity in the storytelling, maybe it reflects how numb people might feel, facing seeming inevitable doom, maybe it's just the way anime is done in our current day and age.

But saying that, I got used to it and accept it. There's some serious layers to the characters, and some complex interactions. It all works within the context of the show.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:23 pm

• Steve's opinions reflect my own, but I do miss the Asteroid Ring, as it was the first image of the Yamato I ever saw (the Bandai model box art by Shigeru Komatsuzaki), which left a great impression on me as a kid. Maybe in the next Yamato: 2199 adventure...?
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:09 pm

• I concur with Steve and August. The story beats are there, but for me, it feels like part of the heart of the show isn't there.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love the new version a lot. In fact, in most ways, I prefer it to the original. It feels grown up, mature, intricately detailed in plot and politics, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss some things. I miss Wildstar and Nova's "first date" with the photo. I miss Wildstar being a brash young hothead who wore his emotions on his sleeve. I miss the connection formed between Avatar and Wildstar over their mutual loss of a family member. I miss IQ-9 being wacky (never saw the skirt-chasing until much later and only in the movies). I miss Nova being a warm caring person instead of an amnesiac who doesn't appear to feel much at all. (I miss her parents thinking she was dating Orion.)

Now, there are a lot of things I like. IQ-9's relationship with the Gamilon robot soldier. The plethora of women added to the ship. The fact that there's a radio show onboard. An actual mutiny that had consequences. The friendship between Avatar and Dr. Sane. The WWII parallels are much more pronounced in this version. The history of the war being explored further. Melda and Akira, who are all kinds of awesome (I know Akira is supposed to be Hardy, but I keep thinking the new Hardy is the long-haired guy whose name eludes me at the moment). The "old" music. The new music. The quality of the animation.

But boy, what I wouldn't give to see a 2199 version of the asteroid ring...(That's what I voted in the poll, btw) :)
    JR Loflin
    Cadet

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 pm

• Of all the options, Asteroid Defense Ring came the closest to being picked for me, but given the 'push' for REAL SCIENCE (tm) 2199 was doing, it's no longer very logical.

In our real world the Asteroid Belt is...not so much different from the rest of trans-Tellus/Luna space. It's not lots and lots of rocks that need dodging and bobbing and weaving. It's occasional rocks. Perfectly fine for outposts and secret bases and such like, not so good for gathering rocks to cover a ship.

OTOH, planets with dense, well-defined rings just may provide material, so who knows what Sanada and Niimi have up their collective sleeves... :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:28 am

• Sanada's Cybernetics, while subtly hinted at in 2199 was never shown that he actually had them.
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm

• Series5Ranger wrote:Sanada's Cybernetics, while subtly hinted at in 2199 was never shown that he actually had them.

Was there anything else other than his preference for concentrated food bars? That could simply be a case of 'knowing too much' about the OMHS food synthesis machinery. :)
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class

Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:41 pm

Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:05 am

• Went with salute but I'm still sort of sad there wasn't any Oktia and Kodai bonding going on in episode seven. And I do wish they had followed up on Sanada's Cybernetics after episode 9.
    yamiangie
    Cadet

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm

• For me it's the "Star Force" salute. I'm a little mixed with the sexuality of 2199, I don't mind it but it's not suitable for young kids, which I was when I watched Star Blazers.
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class

Next

Return to Second Bridge

Information