Wish list for new projects

Discuss Space Battleship Yamato 2199 plot, episodes, characters, and mecha here. ***Spoilers***
Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 am

  • What would you like to see in follow on projects to 2199. I liked how they increased the depth of the old universe by bringing in characters who would come in later, or having the white comet invaders being refereed to as extra galactic barbarians probing the Gamilons defenses. I liked Adm. Ditz and his daughters and the Gamilon rebellion... but all this got me thinking about what they could do in follow on series.

    Anyway here are my suggestions
    *I would like to hear how something strange is going on near the dark nebula, Gamilon bases being harassed, White comet fleets going missing, Earth loosing contact with a deep space probe. just subtle mention of that can set the stage later.
    *I would like to see political tension or mention of now that humans no longer have to live in a war like state and they want to get away from the military run state
    * delve more into Gamilon and Iscandarian dispora and Gamilons imperial problems which will likely get worse with the destruction of Balun and the warp gate network since they are no longer to rapidly deploy their fleets across the galaxy.
    * new character that might bridge some gaps ( like the evil internal security minister, the Indian girl and the crew of the EDS Advanced in Tim Elders Star blazers comic)

    these are just some of my thoughts.
    Philbob
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 12
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:22 pm
    Location: Seattle, Wa

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:55 pm

  • The Comet Empire series, naturally. It's my favorite of all the Yamato series, and really developed the Desler character into what he is today. It would also be nice to see ships and characters from other nations doing their part for the EDF, which would remind us that it's Earth Defense Force, not Japanese Defense Force.

    I know the 2199 producers want to do a prequel, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed by the notion. I want to see the Yamato, I want to see the Andromeda, not the old red fleet. (That said, they've earned enough good will that I'm sure any story they come up with will be worth watching.)

    If they get to Yamato III territory, I'd like to see one of that series original plans made reality: the sinking of the space battleship Arizona. (Tim plans to do his version when he restarts his webcomic, but I think it's still several chapters away.)

    HS
    Hardy Shinohara
    OurStarBlazers.com Site Admin
     
    Posts: 7
    Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:46 am

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:26 pm

  • Personally, I'd like to see the Comet Empire story remade. But, after that I'd like to see original stories, not retreads of the other sequels. One of the things that bothered me, in retrospect, was that every story HAD to have the Earth in peril, and that there HAD to be some etherial COSMIC WOMAN... and don't get me started on YAMATO III. WIth all that being said, I'm finding that wrapping my head around a Y2199 version of Teresa/Trelana will be had unless they are extremely careful not make her into a carbon-copy of the new Iscandarian Sisters. A lot more thought will have to be put into such a character if we are to see her again in the new Y2199 continuity. And I have a lot of confidence in the Y2199 team to properly pull it off. But, then having to roll out the other cosmic women would just stretch all believability, even within the internal logic of the Yamato Universe (IMHO). So, let's see some all new adventures (which can incorporate elements from all of the Yamato Universe, as Y2199 already has).


    Also, here's my response to folks asking to see ships/crews of other nations in the EDF, because there's too much focus on the Japanese. You don't see that in other franchises, either (like STAR TREK, except for token nods). That's because the primary audience for YAMATO is Japanese and the primary audience for TREK is American (yes, I know it's sold around the world, but if it flops in the States, TREK is sunk). I often heard people carp that, likewise, Godzilla always destroys Tokyo (it's actually different cities in each film). Meanwhile, in the American counterparts, the monster or aliens always attack, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, or San Francisco. You [i]hear[/] that they're attacking other cities, but the focus is on the main characters, who will always be American. The same goes for British Sci-Fi. And since YAMATO is created for the Japanese market...
    August Ragone
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 59
    Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:03 am
    Location: San Francisco, California

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:41 pm

  • Hardy Shinohara wrote:If they get to Yamato III territory, I'd like to see one of that series original plans made reality: the sinking of the space battleship Arizona. (Tim plans to do his version when he restarts his webcomic, but I think it's still several chapters away.)


    Nope. Arizona will be front and center in the chapter now in production. It should appear by year's end.
    User avatar
    Tim Eldred
    Captain
     
    Posts: 62
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:19 am

Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:29 pm

  • -Comet Empire / Gatlantis would be good. Agreeing with August, that anything after that be new territory, because frankly, series 3, imho, sucked. (It's the main reason why I never bought it. I could do a long laundry list as to why I didn't like it but the main reasons were the missile that was never detected once from outside our solar system and strikes the sun plot, + the macguffin used to fix it at the end)
    User avatar
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:17 pm

  • Series5Ranger wrote:-Comet Empire / Gatlantis would be good. Agreeing with August, that anything after that be new territory, because frankly, series 3, imho, sucked. (It's the main reason why I never bought it. I could do a long laundry list as to why I didn't like it but the main reasons were the missile that was never detected once from outside our solar system and strikes the sun plot, + the macguffin used to fix it at the end)



    Looks like I've got to stand up for Yamato III once again.

    Seriously, how is what you say any different from the other series? It's the de-facto structure of the entire concept.

    I will grant that a wandering planet buster making it to the Sol System is a bit of a stretch (but I bet Izubuchi would find a way to make it rational in a remake) but a McGuffin fixing all the problems at the end? Pffft. Cosmo Cleaner D. Teresa of Telezart. Magic supplied by Mysterious Space Women.
    Steve H
    Crewperson 1st Class
     
    Posts: 99
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:38 pm

Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:02 pm

  • Steve H wrote:Looks like I've got to stand up for Yamato III once again.


    I guess I'm probably one of the odd few who really liked Yamato III and/or "Bolar Wars." It really fueled (fuels) my imagination for my fanfics and fanart. I really appreciated that 2199 brought in some of the characters & elements that didn't show up until Yamato III.

    But anyway...

    Don't know too much about Yamato products in general, but I would love to see some "normal" things in addition to the more specialized stuff:
    - Backpacks
    - Phone cases
    - More clothing items (shirts, jackets, etc.)
    - Bumper stickers (or other vehicle decorations)

    Okay, I'm done now. :D
    "I'll bless the hand that giveth;
    I'll bless the heart that planned,
    When throned where glory dwelleth,
    In Immanuel's land."
    ~ Anne R. Cousin
    User avatar
    dtill359
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 22
    Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 am

  • Steve H wrote:
    Series5Ranger wrote:-Comet Empire / Gatlantis would be good. Agreeing with August, that anything after that be new territory, because frankly, series 3, imho, sucked. (It's the main reason why I never bought it. I could do a long laundry list as to why I didn't like it but the main reasons were the missile that was never detected once from outside our solar system and strikes the sun plot, + the macguffin used to fix it at the end)



    Looks like I've got to stand up for Yamato III once again.

    Seriously, how is what you say any different from the other series? It's the de-facto structure of the entire concept.

    I will grant that a wandering planet buster making it to the Sol System is a bit of a stretch (but I bet Izubuchi would find a way to make it rational in a remake) but a McGuffin fixing all the problems at the end? Pffft. Cosmo Cleaner D. Teresa of Telezart. Magic supplied by Mysterious Space Women.


    Yes but the point is, by Yamato III it's been played out. and the "Let's kill every single new crew member we introduce" turned me off on it as well.
    User avatar
    Series5Ranger
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 18
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:33 pm

  • I would like a good flashback from Operation Ten-go, Okinawa 1945. The original series did this but they could expand on it.
    They could even do a quick flashback when the Yamato was even built and launched in WW2.
    User avatar
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:17 am

Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:15 pm

  • dtill359 wrote:
    Steve H wrote:Looks like I've got to stand up for Yamato III once again.


    I guess I'm probably one of the odd few who really liked Yamato III and/or "Bolar Wars." It really fueled (fuels) my imagination for my fanfics and fanart. I really appreciated that 2199 brought in some of the characters & elements that didn't show up until Yamato III.

    But anyway...

    Don't know too much about Yamato products in general, but I would love to see some "normal" things in addition to the more specialized stuff:
    - Backpacks
    - Phone cases
    - More clothing items (shirts, jackets, etc.)
    - Bumper stickers (or other vehicle decorations)

    Okay, I'm done now. :D

    I really good Board Game, or a return of Fleet Battles.
    User avatar
    Todd S
    Crewperson 2nd Class
     
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:17 am

Next


Return to Second Bridge




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron